Thursday, September 1, 2022

From Enga to Spanish

Last month I (Adam) reported that we had to postpone the recording of the Enga New Testament because of problems related to the national election. Not long after that, we found out that our high school's Spanish teacher would be out for a number of weeks due to a severe infection she contracted while completing the village-living portion of her Papua New Guinea Orientation Course. Because the recording was delayed and my schedule was more open than normal, Martha encouraged me to volunteer to fill in as a substitute teacher until the regular Spanish teacher could return. This is now the third week that I have been teaching. Although it has been a long time since I have used Spanish regularly, I have been able to remember enough of it to teach Spanish 1 and Spanish 2. In total, I am teaching three class periods: two periods of Spanish 2 (with Bella in one of those classes), and one period of Spanish 1. It was exhausting the first week as I dove into lesson planning, but it became easier last week and this week as I got a better handle on what I am doing. Thankfully, the regular Spanish teacher is recovering well and is planning on returning next week. And Martha is thankful that I now have a greater appreciation for all that she does as a teacher!

Teaching Bella's Spanish 2 class

Although I have been focused on teaching Spanish for the past three weeks, the Enga translation team has continued working on their final review of the Enga New Testament. While they are making many good suggestions for minor changes to improve the flow and naturalness of the translation, they are not finding any major changes that need to be made.

We are hoping to make a very quick trip to Enga during the short school break coming up at the end of September and beginning of October. Please pray that all of our travel plans would come together and that the tensions surrounding the recent election would ease.